Digicom Film Symposium

Makayla Coor

On February 27th many schools in the valley participated in the third annual DIGICOM Filmmaking Symposium. It’s located in The Palm Springs Cultural Center (Camelot Theater). CCHS, PSHS, IHS, DHSHS, SHHS, LQHS, CVHS and RMHS are the schools that attended. They’re in partnership with Film Independent’s Project Involve Program. The Symposium will serve as a memorable event in DIGICOM’s collaboration with students from Palm Springs Unified, Desert Sands Unified and Coachella Valley Unified school districts. This, all day long, Symposium was created to introduce students and teachers to a group of young professional filmmakers from California hoping to inspire our Coachella Valley students to “bring their stories to life” through the power of filmmaking.

The Symposium will showcase short films from L.A. based Film Independent’s Project Involve Program with the filmmakers present. The films, which cover a range of socially relevant themes, will be followed by student questions and answers with the filmmakers that will show both the fundamentals of writing for the screen and the variety of techniques, strategies and challenges filmmakers embrace in production and post-production.

Project Involve is an intensive, nine-month annual program that offers 30 up-and-coming film professionals from under-represented communities the opportunity to learn new skills, form creative partnerships, use free to low-cost production resources and ultimately gain the industry access necessary to succeed as working artists. The Symposium was led by DIGICOM’s adjunct screenwriting instructor, Ruth Atkinson, a LA based script consultant and story editor alongside DIGICOM’s Max Finneran.