The Gay-Straight Alliance Club

Joseph Maskey, Reporter

The gay-straight alliance is a club that takes places in high school and middle schools. But unlike any other club in school, its based on an organization to provide support for cisgender heterosexual allies, and have a more positive impact on classmates of any sexual orientation or gender. Most schools with GSA club have a host of at least one teacher. With the United States, having the First Amendment (freedom of speech) many schools since 1998, have had several federal court cases where they are prevailed of their own rights, with ruling that students all around the United States are eligible to create a club like GSA at different school using the name without having to change it to an alternative name. According to the article Colin Ex Rel. Colin v. Orange Unified School District, “In 2000, the United States District Court for the Central District of California ruled in favor of high school students whose attempt to form a GSA had been blocked by the school board, in the case of Colin v. Orange Unified School District; however in 2016, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit unanimously ruled in favor of middle school students whose attempt to form a GSA had been blocked by the school board, in the case of Carver Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance v. School Board of Lake County Florida.”
Most goals in gay-straight alliances are to support some people who happen to be gay, be welcomed in the same environment as a typical ordinary student at school. With some students being bullied just because they are more attracted to a specific gender or what gender they perceive to be. Experiencing harassment or homophobic remarks from other schools.
Michelle Hilario, the one who hosts the Gay-Straight-Alliance club discusses us with their goal. “My goal is to provide a safe place for LGBTQ students to go express themselves. Also to truly create an alliance with straight students. As a whole, we want to educate our campus on what the LGBTQ students with confidence and the ability to work through discrimination. The club provides resources for our students in need.”