How Sleep Can Affect Students

Olivet Gutierrez, Reporter

According to Better Health a healthy teen should have around 8-10 hours of sleep, although they are also only getting around 6-7.5 hours of sleep. ¨I have been sleep deprived because of school a couple of times before because of studying or of time consuming homework¨ freshman Angel Campos said after I asked him whether school has ever made him lose sleep. Many other students that I questioned had similar responses. Not getting enough sleep can have adverse effects on teens. Being sleep deprived can lead to daytime sleeping, emotional difficulties, and poor school performance. According to the Huffington Post, ¨At night the brain reviews and consolidates information that is acquired during the day, making that information easier to later retrieve. Teens who don’t get enough sleep are also more likely to be inattentive, impulsive, hyperactive and oppositional¨. These are traits which are prevalent in schools. Some students may be getting below average scores on tests not because of bad time management or work ethic, but because they spend so much time studying and doing homework that they lose out on essential sleep. According to Harvard studies, sleep itself has a role in the consolidation of memory, which is a necessity for learning and remembering new information. When students do not have a necessary amount of sleep at night this process can be cut short and this can have negative effects on a students test scores. So how can this problem be solved? Well cutting down the amount of homework that students receive may help, or even cutting down the time of school itself could help. If we made classes shorter or even cut out electives that do not have any real objective value, like fine arts, we could still teach students the essentials and insure that they have enough time to sleep. You could even incentivise and teach work ethic or personal responsibility to students and that may help, although that is a daunting task.