Phone Addiction

Jerseem Rada, Photo Editor

How long do you spend using your phone?

Studies show that people spend almost 2 hours and 30 minutes a day on their phone. One reason could be social media or entertainment purposes.  Everything on the phone has its pros and cons. Its pros being that it is easier to contact with others, finding out the weather, and photography. The cons are not socializing with other people around you, feeling awkward without your phone, and being distracted by it.

Anytime time your phone vibrates or rings you get the urge to check it.  You won’t know what is happening to everybody, because you are so focused on your phone. Students in the class can get distracted by their phones when a teacher is giving examples or giving a lesson.

Do you wake up in the morning and the first thing you do is check your phone? That’s an addiction sign. Do you have trouble sleeping after you use your phone? That’s because when your brain keeps processing the pictures and things you’ve looked at for a while after viewing them. Studies state to put your phone away and do something for an hour before you sleep.  

How does phone addiction affect me? Here are some examples:    

• Sleep Disturbances
  • Digital Eye Strain
  • Relationship Problems
  • Anxiety

Those are just a few things that can affect you. Stay off your phone for a bit. If you’re not doing much at home go outside and do something, exercise, or even read a book. Things like this can help you reduce your time away from your phone.