Is Caffeine Addiction Linked to GPA?

Dan Meloy, News Editor

Is the amount of caffeine students drink every day linked to what their grade point average is? Recent studies have found that the more caffeine you drink, the lower your grade point average is. But what do the students at Rancho Mirage High School believe to be true and what will they end up showing to be true? William McCloud (12), was asked what he believes about this recent data and if he believed it was true, and stated, “I think that the amount of caffeine students intake will increase their GPA, only because that probably means they’re staying up to study for a test or that they’re using it as a way to wake up in the morning which may improve the work they put out. Even though studies have shown that it lowers their grade point average, which I can somewhat see because students may be using it as a crutch instead of a boost, I think that the students here at Rancho Mirage High School use it more as a boost than a crutch. It all depends on what surveys may show, and I could be wrong. I can honestly see both sides; but hopefully people aren’t using caffeine as a way to replace sleep, more as a way to improve their overall function during the day.”. After anonymously surveying students who go to Rancho Mirage High School about what their average caffeine intake is and what their grade point average is, it was found that on average, the more caffeine you drink, the higher your grade point average is here at Rancho Mirage High School. This means that the students at Rancho Mirage High School go against recent studies. When asked why this may be, Sajada Parker (12), stated,”I think that makes complete sense. I tend to see lots of people walking in every day with a cup of coffee in their hands, so I’d imagine that most people use it as a way to boost their overall performance rather than use it as an alternative to sleep. The amount of pressure put on kids by teachers seems to be much lower than other schools, so I think that affects kids as well and the pressure to stay up to study for a test isn’t there as much because of how our school operates. I think it just varies between communities, really.”