AP Classes: Furthering Education or Stress?

Dakota Zeihen, Features

AP classes are advanced placement classes that allow students to learn at a higher level, but at what cost? There are often long nights of studying and homework involved with taking AP classes. AP classes exist so that students get exposure to what classes will be like in college. Many colleges also accept AP classes as college credit.  These AP classes often come with added stress to the body. New York University conducted a study on the stress level of teens taking AP courses, they stated, “The study shows that there is growing awareness many subgroups of youth experience high levels of chronic stress, to the extent it impedes their abilities to succeed academically, compromises their mental health functioning, and fosters risk behavior.”  They found that this stress could lead to long-term problems in the person’s health. AP classes make students’ social lives more difficult and make it harder for them to try new things. Although these classes have the extra workload and stress, it allows students to work on their time management skills and balancing homework with things outside of school. Wisconsin News says that you should know what you are capable of and take classes that you can handle and not take a whole bunch of classes just for college credit. Also, they say it puts a dagger through relationships and can make it hard for you to jungle friends with your studies. Jennifer Vidal (Junior) said, “I think they are worth it because the hard work you put into it during high school will relieve the stress and the amount of work you’ll have in college. The problem is knowing how many you can handle so that you won’t be as stressed out.” When you take AP classes in high school, it allows you to graduate from college early or double major.  You can also save $44,000-$88,000 on college by planning your high school classes accordingly and making sure you take many AP classes, but as a reminder, if you don’t pass the AP exam, your AP class will not count as college credit. Gabby Aguilar (Junior) said, “I would say it really depends on what you want to do in the future. If you’re going to college might as well stress now and try to pass the exam and save yourself the money. But if you’re planning on not going to college, definitely do not cause that much stress for nothing!” All in all, find what works best for you and do it!