Diana Arias: Soprano Superhero with a Heart of Eyeshadow and Highlighter

Hannah Howard, Reporter

A member of Chamber Choir and Ukulele Club, Diana Arias is a senior and new student at Rancho Mirage High School. Coming from Yucca Valley, Diana moved down to Palm Desert with her family just weeks after school began in August.

One of Diana’s great passions, along with makeup, is music. A soprano in the school’s Chamber Choir, she started learning about music when she was young. At her school in Yucca Valley, she was involved in Band, playing the marimba, vibraphone, and piano. She switched to choir when she moved to try something new and become more versatile. “It’s fun and makes me feel good about myself,” she says about music. “It helped me adjust to a new school.”

Despite wanting to pursue her passion with makeup after high school, Diana says that singing is a skill she would like to keep for the rest of her life. She has dreams to pursue singing and theater acting as a side career to cosmetology. When asked what song she would like to be able to sing one day, she says, “Phantom of the Opera. I watched it growing up, and being able to sing something that advanced someday would be incredible.” Along with big Broadway productions, Diana would also like to be able to sing for Disney. Lea Salonga, a Filipina performer and fellow soprano who provided the singing voices for Mulan and Jasmine in the classic Disney films, is one of Diana’s biggest performance art inspirations. She hopes to be the voice of her own Disney princess one day.

Music aside, Diana has her sights set on makeup for a stable career. “It’s a way for me to be creative and express myself,” she says. Her inspiration on this front is Tati Westbrook, a popular YouTube makeup guru, who she views as “honest, kind, and talented.” She hopes to pursue her cosmetology ambitions after high school at Makeup Directory, Ruby Makeup Academy, or Michael Vincent Academy.