Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Joseph Maskey, Reporter

We all know what time of the year it is… not just halloween, but Breast Cancer Awareness month too. Referred to as the annual international health campaign along with other breast cancer awareness charities. Every October of each year, these charities increase their awareness of the disease and the funds for research so that they can stop what is causing it and put an end to it. According to NBC news, “From being physically active to limiting alcohol, there are several lifestyle factors within your control to maintain breast cancer.” Some lifestyle factors contributing to breast health can be maintaining a healthy weight, being more active, be on a diet, along with limiting alcohol and smoking of any kind. Unfortunately there are no specific steps guaranteed to prevent breast cancer. Talking to your doctor about checking for early detection can help as well.

At Rancho Mirage High School for spirit week on friday, some students decided to wear pink shirts and any other pink clothing to spread the word about breast cancer. One Breast Cancer survivor shared her story, on a mission to changing her life, saying “I had been doing it for about a year. I had lost 55 pounds. I had gotten healthy, gotten strong,” says DuPont. She explains what it would have been like without crossfit. And because of mammogram, under one year from her diagnosis, she reaching the end of her treatment and finally continuing her cancer free life.

The CDC says that this type of cancer is the most common form of cancer. Stating that, “In fact about 1 in 8 women will get it sometime in her life.” The only way to detect it is to go to places like Desert Regional Medical Center and get regular mammograms.  Besides the bad side to breast cancer, the good news is that it’s never too late to start making better decisions to prevent the risk of breast cancer. NBC news claims that, “While maintaining a healthy lifestyle from childhood can lower your risk of breast cancer by as much as 70 percent, choosing a healthy lifestyle at age 50 can lower that risk by as much as 50 percent.” Referring back to the Desert Regional Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Amir Lavaf says, “take your health seriously allows us to save all of these women.” “I could win or the cancer could win. And I definitely wasn’t going to let the cancer win,” says DuPont.