Rancho Mirage’s Marching Band

Dakota Zeihen, Editor

Rancho Mirage High School offers many extracurricular activities. One of those activities is the Marching Band. In marching band, students perform in many performances showing of their band skills.  At RMHS, the marching band performs at pep rallies, football games, competitions, and many other events. The marching band is directed by Mr. Gaylord, but the marching band is led by drum major Gabby Lopez, a junior at RMHS.  The band has performed at all the home games at RMHS and practices vigorously almost every day for multiple hours. The band has recently competed in two competitions, the Western Band Association Competition in Vista Murrieta and the RCC marching band competition. In the WBA competition, RMHS band placed third and in the RCC competition, they placed second.  The marching band has many upcoming competitions and are looking at performing in the light parade.

Freshman flute player Sara Chen said, “I like all of the friends you make and the sense of comradery we all have. Also, of course, playing music and learning all of it.” According to Passion Academy, band boosts self-esteem and gives students a sense of pride and accomplishment. Chen also said, “Band has helped me personally by making me more responsible and it has also made me better with time management.”  Since, band practices last multiple hours, students learn to use their time wisely to make sure that all homework gets done before the due dates. Chen also said, “(Gabby Lopez) doesn’t act like she is better than you and you can have a genuine conversation with her.” According to Sonic Birds, a good band leader has good communication and is able to motivate their band. Sonic Birds says, “You’ll get 100% from your bandmates if everyone is having fun and feels motivated.” You can follow RMHS band on twitter or facebook to keep updated on upcoming band events.