Homecoming Football Game

Dakota Zeihen, Reporter

The Rancho Mirage football team played a game against Shadow Hills High School on Friday. This was RMHS’s homecoming game, and was played at our home field; the Jerry Argovitz Stadium. The game started at around 6 p.m. with a pit party for all of the students to turn their school spirit on before the game and ended at roughly 9-9:30 p.m. Football coach L.D. Matthews said before the game, “I’m looking forward to our kids coming out and playing hard.  Plus, it’s going to be the last time the seniors ever play in our Jerry Argovitz stadium, so I expect great effort and a big performance from our seniors.” This was the last home game for the entire RMHS football team, so emotions ran high as both teams put their cleats on the grass

The football game started with RMHS winning the coin toss and choosing to kick-off to SHHS.  During the first quarter, SHHS was able to score two touchdowns, while RMHS was unable to score any points. After one quarter, the score was 14-0, and it did not get better for the rest of the half. In the second quarter, SHHS scored a touchdown on a pick six. At halftime, the score was 21-0, SHHS beating RMHS.  To start off the third quarter, SHHS kicked off to our Rattlers, with Jevin Dorsey receiving and returning the ball. During the third quarter, RMHS was able to score their first touchdown. Jose Rubio of RMHS scored the touchdown from 1 yard line on a fourth down. Then, RMHS was able to recover an ensuing onside kickoff, leaving them a the SHHS’s 37-yard line. After this, RMHS was able to score another touchdown where quarterback Cesar Vela threw a 43-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jevin Dorsey. However, right after RMHS’s touchdown, SHHS scored a touchdown from midfield but were unable to score the extra point as it was blocked by Israel Ramirez.

When the tables started to turn in favor of the Rattlers, that momentum switched drastically in the fourth quarter. During the fourth quarter, SHHS scored two touchdowns consecutively, while RMHS was unable to score any points throughout the entirety of the quarter.  Unfortunately the game ended by a score of 41-14, SHHS beating RMHS. The Rattlers will go on the road next week to end their regular season at Palm Desert High School.