Oracle Challenger Series

Zoe Kolytiris, Reporter

This past Friday at Indian Wells Tennis Gardens, two journalism students from RMHS had the opportunity to visit the qualifiers for the big tennis tournament the BNP Paribas Open. Two students from Palm Springs, Cathedral City, and Rancho Mirage were invited to visit the Gardens to watch some matches as well as given the opportunity to interview new and upcoming tennis players. Students were able to witness the kind of excitement and anxiousness professional tennis players have to go through everyday! 

With the help of the organization Highschool Nation, students were able interview qualifiers in the oracle challenger series before the BNP Paribas Open starts in their very own student-led press conference. Students were able to ask questions about players background, training, and personal life. The players talked about their transition into becoming a professional tennis player and all the support and inspiration they got throughout the whole process. The students thanked the players for their participation, and HighSchool Nation interviewed the students on their opportunity and opinions on the whole event. All students responded with nothing but positive answers.

Learning to create and ask new and interesting questions that would really get players thinking is an important skill young journalists need to develop, and this event helped students hone their skills. It was great opportunity for students to look into the tennis world and see the success tennis players work for and get better insight on becoming young journalist!