Spring Sports Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Sports Recap

Dakota Zeihen

Dakota Zeihen

Dakota Zeihen

Dakota Zeihen, Features Editor

The Rancho Mirage High School JV softball team played Palm Springs High School on Friday, March 22nd.  They played at RMHS’s softball/baseball fields at 3:15 p.m. RMHS played PSHS in softball on Monday with Rancho Mirage High School beat Palm Springs High School. The game on Monday was played at the Palm Springs High School softball fields. On Friday RMHS beat PSHS again by 12 runs. This was RMHS seventh softball game this year. The team played great and beat PSHS with a score of 13 to one. Both games proved that RMHS was the stronger team.  The came out victorious in both games. JV pitcher Brianna Serna (9) said, “We played well and showed that we can work together as a team.” First baseman Isela Maloney said, “We have worked hard and we are showing it on the field. All the practice and hard work that goes into our team is finally showing through our wins.”

On the other hand, the varsity softball team lost their first game in a tough game against PSHS.  They lost with a score of 4 to 7. Jaidyn Olson had 3 RBI’s and a 2 run BOMB and Makala Pete had an RBI.  Then on Friday RMHS’s varsity softball played PSHS again, this time coming out victoriously. They beat PSHS with a score of 7 to 4. Lizzy Felix had 3 RBI’s and a BOMB.  Amber Castillo had a 2 run BOMB and Jaidyn Olson had 2 RBI’s. Makala Pete stood strongly in the circle and Porschea Miranda closed the game with a crucial double play at the end of the game. Lizzy Felix (9) said, “It was good to see all of our hard work pay off. We were finally able to come out with a win which is very exciting.”

Also, the RMHS swim team played Shadow Hills High School in a challenging meet.  RMHS’s girls’ varsity beat SHHS with a score of 96 to 72. They showed their improving skills and times with 4 more CIF times. RMHS’s boys’ varsity lost with a score of 69 to 94. There was a back and forth competition between the two schools but SHHS eventually came out on top with the boys. Abram Villegas set school records for both the 50 and 100 freestyle. Also, Abram Villegas, Drew Hernandez, Gabriel Cruz, and Moises De La Torre set a school record for the 200 freestyle relay. Swimmer Kimberly Perez said, “We all swam our best and showed what RMHS is made of.”

Then in Baseball, RMHS played PSHS. They played their first game on Tuesday, March 19th and lost with a score of five to four.  They were up four to one in the seventh but were unable to hold on for the win. Then on Friday, RMHS came out victorious with a winning score of three to zero. Leo Guzman had a four shutout inning and Grant Kelly held onto that for the last three innings. Carlos Munoz had a huge RBI single while Ulysses Regelado had an RBI groundout.