Swim Meet against Coachella

Dakota Zeihen, Reporter

The Rancho Mirage High School swim team played in their fourth season meet this Monday, March 4th.  They played against Coachella Valley High at RMHS home pool at Cathedral City High School at 3:15 p.m. and lasted until 6:45. The meet included both boys and girls and at both the junior varsity and varsity levels. The RMHS varsity girls team beat CVHS with a score of 122 to 45 and varsity boys beat CVHS with a score of 120 to 43.  Swimmers are scored for each event they compete in. Relays are scored 8-4-2-0. 8 points go to 1st place, 4 to 2nd place, 2 to 3rd place, and 0 going to all other places. Individual events are scored 6-4-3-2-1-0. Since there are 6 swimmers going for a certain event, 5 players will receive some point value and only the last place finisher will receive none. The events went in the order of 200m medley relay- 200m freestyle- 200m individual medley- 50m freestyle – 100m butterfly – 100m freestyle- 500m freestyle- 200m freestyle relay- 100m backstroke- 100m breaststroke- 400m freestyle relay. RMHS had two CIF times for the girls during this meet and the boys put up great times.

Junior varsity swimmer Cece Calderon (9) said, “The team as a whole played well.  Our practicing has definitely paid off and we are starting to really come together as a team. I’m so proud to be part of such an amazing program that has allowed me to become a stronger swimmer and person.”  Varsity swimmer Gabriela Campos (9) said, “We all swam so well and have trained so hard to get to this point. Our team is really coming together and putting up great times. This was a meet that helped our team practice for our league matches that are coming up.”  The RMHS swim team play in their first league meet on Thursday, March 14th against La Quinta High School. Varsity swimmer Race Drummond (10) said, “It was a good match. Us boys started the season struggling a bit, but we have found our rhythm and are getting better each day.”