Spring Sports

Dakota Zeihen, Reporter

Winter sports are coming to an end and spring sports are starting. At Rancho Mirage High School, spring sports include boys tennis, baseball, softball, boys golf, and swimming.  These sports are already starting to practice and are getting ready for the 2019 spring season. Boys tennis, baseball, and softball have all started practicing at their designated practice fields at the Rancho Mirage High School campus. Boys’ golf practices at the Mission Hills Gary Player Course and swimming practices at the Cathedral City High School pool.  Boys’ soccer is currently the only winter sport still playing. They played in two CIF playoff games last week, one on February 7th and the other on the 9th. With the spring season starting up, though, spring sports are in full swing. Boys’ baseball had their first game on February 9th, but lost with a score of 8-5. Softball and boys’ tennis have their first games next week.  Swimming and boys’ golf have their first matches towards the end of February.

Softball player Isela Maloney (9) said, “I’m very excited for this softball season.  We have been practicing for a few weeks now and I feel that we have a strong team that will do well.” Maloney is the starting pitcher for the JV softball team. Also, softball player Brianna Serna said, “It is my first year playing softball and I am super excited to play and hopefully have a great season.”  Serna who played water polo, will play her first softball game on February 12th. Baseball player Alex Lozano (9) said, “I’m looking forward to playing and proving to my coaches that I am a good player.” This is Lozano’s first baseball season at RMHS but he is also a starter on the freshman baseball team. Our baseball team plays there next game February 12th, where they will face Elsinore in a non-league match.